Trading Spaces

In order to make room for this new addition in our family, we needed to put the girls together. It would have been nice to just move Katie to Kyra's room so we could leave the nursery as it was, but the nursery is the bigger room. So all the nursery items had to be moved to Kyra's room, and all of Kyra's stuff had to be moved to Katie's room. I had wanted to make this transition a while ago, but could not decide on bed arrangements (bunk bed, twin beds, hammocks :). Alas, we found a bunk bed that we liked and decided to keep them as twin beds for the time being, so I wouldn't have to climb up and make their beds daily. Unfortunately my order was back ordered and didn't come for weeks and weeks.

Finally, a couple weeks ago the beds came. I thought it would be nice if the girls went to Grandpa and Grandma's house for the evening, so we could have some uninterrupted moving time, and surprise them with a finished room when they came back. I was glad we did, because we had furniture all over the place. I ended up being very pleased with the end result. Their room is definitely more crowded, but it looks very cute. We also still have a few finishing touches to go, like removing the nursery valance and putting it in the baby's room, but those are minor changes. And due to the fact that this baby boy is inheriting a girl's bedroom, it looks a little girly. But I'm pretty sure he won't notice for the first year or two!!

When the girl's arrived back home, their grins said it all. Kyra was a little disappointed that she wouldn't be able to sleep on the top bunk, but she got over it quickly. It has now been a week and half, and they are having so much fun. I am happy to say that Katie adjusted well immediately to her new arrangement. She still takes naps well (not getting out of bed to test the waters), and loves having her sister near by. Kyra loves her bed, but says Katie keeps her up too late talking (although truthfully I don't think she minds all that much, since I hear a good deal of the laughter from her). They have played battle ship with their beds, while shooting stuffed animals across the room, and adorned their beds with books while playing "check out" at the library. It is fun to see them using their imaginations and enjoying their space together. It brings back memories of my sister and I sharing a room and all the fun times we had playing games and chatting till late. Although, I'm sure this honeymoon won't last forever (after all I also remember putting masking tape down the center of the room too!).
Katie's room before the transformation

Girls room after transformation

6 comments:

LikeUaLatte said...

Oh Sarah. How cute is your blog. The room looks great. I like the colors you chose. What's it like to be adding #3? We had the three in my famiy and it was always "active". How far are you along?

Rebecca said...

The girls' room is so cute! I love the furniture and bedding you picked, and I'm so glad your girls are enjoying it. :)

Kris said...

Looks great! Sounds like the girls are having tons of fun, too. Glad that it all came together!

Jenni S. said...

Love the beds you picked out! Very cute! How far along are you? Are you feeling alright?

Sarah VB said...

The room looks SUPER cute Sarah! I love the bedding you picked and the cubby shelves between the two beds. You'll have to post pics of what the baby room looks like when it's ready too!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

These rooms are so cute!!!