Put on Your New Clothes

This morning we had a sermon on how we should dress. Now before you start thinking, "my goodness she goes to a mighty strict church if they're going to tell her what to wear," hold your thoughts (because that's what I thought the preacher was going to preach about). The sermon was based on Colossians 3: 1-17. Many of you might be familiar with these verses, as I have been atuned to hearing. However, I had one of those moments where I had heard the verse a hundred times, but today God really spoke to me.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." - Col. 3: 12-14
The pastor spoke of taking off all those winter clothes (sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed), and putting on your summer clothes (love, forgiveness, kindness, etc). I realized, that in this 80 degree weather I still had my winter clothes on. I hate to say it, but I am one to hold grudges (just ask my husband - he knew it from the minute he looked at me yesterday morning). So, I pray that God helps me to truly love and forgive as I start a new day. And hopefully, just maybe, I will remember what clothes to wear day to day.

2 comments:

Sarah VB said...

Isn't it great when we feel like the words we hear on Sunday are meant just for us at times? That is one of my favorite verses - we went to a Plantinga seminar based on it a few months ago, and wow, did I learn a lot about what that verse was saying. We definitely can apply it directly at any given moment in our lives, right?

Kris said...

Great post! I can't wait to be able to actually hear a sermon one of these days! Owen is notorious for neediing me right during church!
K